Everything you need to know about Adult Matric
At UCT Online High School, we believe that it’s never too late to enable a better future for you and your family. Our Adult Matric Programme gives adults who were unable, or never given the opportunity to write their matric when they were young, the opportunity to work part-time towards achieving their CAPS-aligned Amended Senior Certificate. And they get to do it through the most-recognised university in Africa! If this sounds like the opportunity you’ve been waiting for, we’re sure you’re eager to get your application in. But you may have some questions that need answering first. Here is what you need to know about the Adult Matric Programme at UCT Online High School.
What is the duration of this Adult Matric Programme?
Our Adult Matric Programme runs for a total of 18 months, starting in January 2023 and concluding in May/June of the next year, following completion of the final exams.
What curriculum does the Adult Matric Programme use?
Adult Matric learners will be learning the South African CAPS curriculum resulting in the Amended Senior Certificate (ASC). While we have launched an additional international curriculum, Cambridge International for high school learners, it’s not an available curriculum to take for Adult Matric.
Which subjects are available to take?
Adult Matric learners will be required to take 6 subjects. Aside from the 3 compulsory subjects, you can select 3 electives as follows:
3 Compulsory Subjects:
- English Home Language
- First Additional Language: A choice of either Afrikaans OR isiXhosa
- Mathematics: A choice of either Pure Mathematics OR Maths Literacy
In addition, 3 subjects must be selected from these electives:
- Business Studies
- Physical Sciences (requires Pure Mathematics)
- Life Sciences
What will the Adult Matric Programme cost?
- Application Fee - R350 (once-off payment)
- Placement Fee - R2,500 (once-off payment)
- Tuition Fee (Monthly) - R2,195
When are exams written?
If you are a part of our January 2023 cohort, your external Matriculation Examinations will be written in May/June 2023 at an approved SACAI examination venue located in South Africa. This goes for all January starters, your final Matriculation Examinations will take place in May/June of the following year.
What does UCT Online High School expect from Adult Matric learners?
With the intense nature of this academic learning path, it is important to understand what’s required from your end to ensure the successful completion of your Adult Matric qualification. These include, but are not limited to:
- Complete ownership of your academic journey, taking responsibility for ensuring that all deadlines and requirements are met
- A commitment of a minimum of 20 hours per week (over 7 days)
- A high level of self-motivation and good work ethic is required to work through each module, and complete and submit all assessments as and when required
- A reasonable technical proficiency to be able to work online and master the use of all required tech platforms (G-Suite, Google Workspace, Moodle etc). All of our learners will need to be able to upload and submit documents and/or videos by the required assessment deadlines.
What are the application requirements?
Now before you rush to get your application in, there are a few requirements when it comes to applying for our Adult Matric Programme:
- Adult Matric learners who are 21 years and older when they sit for the Matric Examination
- Adult Matric learners who have a General Education and Training Certificate (GETC); or
- Adult Matric learners who have a Grade 9 school report (or the old standard 7). Stating that they have passed Grade 9 or Standard 7; or
- A recognised equivalent qualification obtained at NQF Level 1 which requires two official languages.
- Adult Matric learners must present an identity document or a study permit (foreign nationals).
Ready for Adult Matric?
If you’re ready to start this exciting journey to a new future, our applications for 2023 are now open - you can apply here.
All this new information may have sparked some more questions that our friendly Admissions Consultants would love to give you answers to. You can get in touch with them by booking a call, or contacting +27 21 140 1792, or email email@example.com.
We can’t wait to help you achieve success at any age because you are UCT Online High School!